Book your consultation for Masters of Surgery
About Masters of Surgery
Master of Surgery, a postgraduate medical qualification is the most advanced qualification in surgery. Depending upon the degree, it may be abbreviated ChM, MCh, MChir or MS. At a typical medical school the program lasts between two and three years.The possession of a medical degree is a prerequisite.The ChM can be awarded on both clinical and academic competency or on academic competency. The regulations may ask for surgical experience and a thesis topic that is not purely medical. Candidates can choose to study surgical medicine after completing their MBBS degree course.This degree course helps candidates develop the skills required to become a surgeon. Before surgeons are qualified to operate, they must meet a set of challenging education requirements. These generally include four years of undergraduate study, four years of medical school leading to a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree, and three to eight years of surgical residency at a hospital.
Master of Surgery (MS) Eligibility Criteria
- Minimum Qualification Required: MBBS
- Minimum Marks Required: 50% (varies from college to colleges)
Admission Process for MS:
- Candidates who have completed the MBBS programme along with the internship that is part of the programme are eligible to apply for the programme.
- Indian nationals holding OCI/ PIO cards are eligible for securing admissions under the General category.
- Foreign nationals comprising OCI/ PIO cards, supported by their parents or siblings having NRI status can apply for seats under the NRI category.
- Admissions to MS programmes are done on the basis of PG medical entrance exams. The popular PG medical exams are: NEET PG
Master of Surgery [MS]: Career Prospects
- Graduates have lots of opportunities after completing this course. Professionals in this field can work in areas like Health Centers, Medical Colleges, Laboratories, Nursing Homes, Research Institutes, Hospitals, Medical Foundations, Polyclinics, Non-Profit Organizations, Clinics, etc.
- They can work in both government and private hospitals. Some professionals may start their own clinics or hospitals and serve as a surgeon and treat their patients.
- Professionals may work in roles offered by the top hospitals and organizations are Ophthalmologist, Lab Technician, Paediatric Surgeon, Neonatal Surgeon, Orthopaedic Surgeon, Vascular Surgeon, Urological Surgeon, Researcher, Plastic Surgeon, Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon, Reconstructive Surgeon, Researcher, Lecturer, Professor, etc.
- These professionals work for research facilities, pharmaceutical companies, government agencies, biotechnological firms, laboratories, and pharmacies.
Streams for MS degree course in India
- MS (General Surgery)
- MS (ENT)
- MS (Orthopaedics)
- MS (Ophthalmology)
- MS (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- MS (Anatomy)
- MS (Anaesthesia)
- MS (Neurosurgery)
- MS (Traumatology and Surgery)