Book your consultation for M.Arch
Masters in Architecture, known as M.Arch, is a postgraduate course, The architecture field involves the process of planning, designing and execution of residential and commercial infrastructure. It is a two-year program divided into four semesters and can be pursued through regular batch or distance education. There are several specializations in this field like Landscape Architecture, Green Architecture, Naval Architecture, etc.
The Council of Architecture in India regulates the curriculum and professional applications of this field. The Master of Architecture curriculum provides a disciplined approach to the fundamentals of architecture in a setting that ensures the flexibility and latitude necessary for students to develop their individual talents and skills.This program, leading to a degree of Master of Architecture (M.Arch.), is for students holding undergraduate liberal arts degrees, such as a B.A. or B.S., who seek their first professional architectural degree. It typically requires three years of full-time residency to complete the degree requirements.
Course Subjects for specialization
This course offers specialization in various subjects relevant to the field of Architecture. The council of architecture has offered specialization in the subjects below for Masters in architecture course.
- Architectural conservation
- Building engineering and management
- Urban design
- Landscape architecture
- Architectural design
- Sustainable architecture
- Transport planning
- Town and country planning
- Regional planning
- Industrial design
- Environmental planning
- Architecture and digital design
In order to get admission to this course the entry requirements are –
- Candidates who have completed their Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) from a recognized university with minimum 50% of marks in their final exam.
- Candidates who have appeared and scored at least 50% in their entrance exam are required for admission to this course.
- Students who have given entrance exams such as General aptitude test in engineering (GATE) and common entrance exam for design (CEED). Some universities conduct their unique entrance exams which are mandatory for students aspiring to secure admission. Students should have a good level of knowledge and understanding in reasoning, numerical, and design and aptitude skills in order to get admission to this course.
- Some Institutes require an aptitude test and an Interview for admission into the Master’s Degree in Architecture.
Course Duration and Fees –
- The course duration for this course is 2 years. The duration of this course remains the same for all colleges and universities. However, the annual fees for this course changes from college to college or university.
- Master’s in Architecture course (Any specialization) 2 years
- For IIT the average annual fees is Rs. 50,000/-
- For National Institute of Technology, the fees is Rs. 2,00,000/-
- For private colleges and universities, the average annual fees range between Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 1,50,000/-
20 Best Architecture Masters Degree Programs after B.Arch-
After a long and gruelling graduate degree in architecture, we are all faced with the dilemma of choosing the path ahead. Choosing to continue to study and pursue a master’s degree is one option which presents another growing confusion as to which degree to enrol for. Specialisations ranging from a master’s in architecture to an MBA in Construction Management; all are viable options. To give some clarity to the various options for those wanting to apply for a master’s degree, here are some programs one can consider.
- Masters in Architecture | Architecture Masters– One of the most popular choices after completion of B.Arch., it is generally a two-year program. With a more in-depth approach to the field of architecture, various schools like Harvard Graduate School of Design, Sir JJ School of Art and Architecture, MIT have diverse curriculums for M.Arch. degrees. A master’s in architecture further allows specialisations into various fields like,
- M.Arch. in Conservation and Restoration– With good programs from schools like SPA Delhi, CEPT Ahmedabad and many schools internationally, for individuals with an incline towards conservation, this master’s degree provides an ideal way forward.
- M.Arch in Architectural History and Theory– A program gaining momentum for students interested in research, meant to help professionals aspiring to enter the teaching profession, architecture journalism and cultural entrepreneurs. The program is offered in colleges like CEPT Ahmedabad, Edinburgh college of Art etc.
- M.Arch. in Landscape Design | Architecture Masters– A degree offered in most colleges in India and internationally, this specialisation is targeted to equip designers to make interventions at larger scaled territories with implication factors like the social statistics, the economic outlook etc.
- Masters in Urban Planning– A program offered at prestigious universities worldwide like MIT, Harvard Graduate School etc. all designed to impart knowledge about urban issues and the ideal concepts for city planning keeping in mind the contemporary context.
- Masters in Urban Design | Architecture Masters– A masters program focuses on being a creative tool which helps to form the interface between urban design and city planning, it offers an understanding into various urban theories, focuses on design of urban areas for public use etc. It is offered as a one-year program at UCL London as an M.Sc. and at UC Berkeley as a post-post graduate program.
- Masters in Urban Housing– A further diversification into the realm of urban design is a focused program which tackles the urban issue of housing, Urban Housing. It is offered at CEPT Ahmedabad in India and at UCL in London. The M.Sc. degree focuses on planning policies and its implementation in different socio-political and economic scenarios. It lays emphasis on the most basic unit of cities-shelter.
- M.Tech in Construction Engineering and Management– A specialisation stream open to both engineers and architects, this M.Tech program is offered mostly in Indian colleges and deals with the coordination and management aspects of construction.
- M.Tech in Building Energy Performance– With the changes in current building construction techniques and building functioning practices, this unique program allows the ideation and design of energy efficient buildings and gives the means to assess and maintain a buildings efficiency.
- M.Des in Interior Architecture | Architecture Masters– Often considered the same as a masters in Interior Design, this program is offered by several top design schools in the world; like RSID, Parsons, MIT, NID India. The studies are structured to induce design thinking which yields design interventions which change the existing structures through interior interventions.
- M.Des. in Furniture– Another masters in Design program which focuses on a niche field, furniture design. Several architects are renowned for their furniture pieces and learning of furniture design was once part of the holistic educational model practiced at the Bauhaus, but in recent times; only the architects with an active interest in the finer touches or architects who also design the interiors, focus on furniture design. Again, the program is offered in several international universities, as well as NID and CEPT in India.
- M.Des. in Industrial Design– Product design, or Industrial design is a program which is concerned primarily with designing and evolving products to respond to needs of the user in the most efficient way possible.
- M.Sc. in Geomatics- Geomatics is concerned with the collection, analysis, management and visualisation of geographic data to generate spatial knowledge about the environment. It utilises advanced technology to collect and analyse geographic data which can be used to identify issues and ways to resolve them. It is one of the top programs at TU Delft in the Netherlands.
- Masters in Design Engineering– The degree program is offered in various universities like BITS Pilani, Milan etc. The program is dedicated to cultivating an approach which combines creativity and analysis, observation.
- M.A. in Spatial Performance and Design– The approach of this program blurs the lines between art and architecture, it aims to create a collaborative design approach combining various disciplines into the resultant architecture, art or spatial performance space. It is offered in UCL London & AA London.
- M.A. in Art History and Criticism– A distinctive option for those who wish to pursue a career in architecture journalism, the program is designed to enhance and inform the perspective on different works of architecture. The program currently lacks a footing in India but is a fairly popular career path internationally.
- Masters in Project Management– The degree focuses on the key optimisation of a project’s resources, adherence to its time lines and assurance of works as per the drawings. This program trains individuals and makes them competent enough to oversee project execution.
- Masters in Construction Management and Law-This program is of key interest to professionals who seek to diversify into construction law and arbitration.
- Masters in Graphic Design– Although due to the excessive amounts of presentations required, architects are well-versed in graphic design softwares. A formal education for individuals with a keen interest in the same could prove to be very beneficial.
- M.BA. in Construction, Economics and Quantity Survey– This business-oriented program equips architects from a creative background to diversify into key management personnel for all tasks related to the project. They manage the teams, regulate the activities on-site, conduct surveys and reports to allow users to make informed decisions.